Our Grade 1 students have fun learning to read and write as they move through the five components of their Literacy Centres – small areas of the classroom where they can independently, or in a group, embark on a learning experience through self-directed activities. Within one literacy period, students have the opportunity to visit each centre for ten to fifteen minutes.
We know that students learn differently, have a variety of strengths and struggles, and find different topics interesting. Literacy needs and ability levels vary from one student to the next. As such, it is important that we provide a variety of ways for students to learn reading, writing, and speaking, using both traditional methods as well as newer technology.
Each centre focuses on a specific literacy skill, all of which are essential parts of our young students’ academic development. The centres are organized as follows:
- Reading to Self – Students independently read leveled readers, either in hard copy or on a computer.
- Reading to Someone – Working in pairs, students take turns reading to one another.
- Listening to Reading – Students can listen to an adult reading, or they can listen to an audiobook, while following along with a paper copy. Listening to Reading activities can also include interactive activities on the Smartboard.
- Word Work – Students work on vocabulary-building activities.
- Work on Writing – Depending on their level, students can do pencil-and-paper writing activities or use word tiles to create sentences accompanied by an illustration.
Beyond strengthening reading comprehension, writing development, and other literacy skills, the structure of our program also promotes the development of classroom routines and organizational skills. Since the content and skill level of each centre can be tailored to the needs of our students, we are able to provide them with active, fun and accessible learning as they work towards becoming the best readers and writers that they can be.
We look forward to seeing you and sharing with you the private school community of which we are so proud!
To learn more about Rowntree Montessori Schools (RMS), continue browsing our website and ideally drop by any of our welcoming, friendly and family oriented campuses for a personal tour anytime Monday-Friday 9:00am-3:00pm. If you prefer, call to book an appointment for a personal tour anytime Monday-Friday 9:00am-3:00pm.
More details about Rowntree Montessori Schools‘ approach to education can be seen by clicking here.