Rowntree Montessori Academy provides a Music curriculum that spans Pre-Kindergarten children to Grade 8 students inclusive. Weekly classes range in length from thirty to eighty minutes covering the following:
- Basic musical concepts: The Pre-Kindergarten Music program includes the introduction of basic musical concepts including singing songs, listening activities, improvisation, playing rhythm instruments
- Kodaly hand signs: These are introduced in the Grade 1 Music programme. Singing, developing an understanding of basic note values and the concept of pitch, are introduced at the Grade 1 level. Students also learn about the families of instruments, and explore how sounds are made by playing percussion instruments.
- Recorder skills and Music notation: The recorder is introduced in Grade 2 Music and is continued in Grades 3 and 4. The development of recorder skills is accompanied by an introduction to music notation. Grades 2, 3 and 4 Music includes learning songs by using Kodaly hand signs to develop the concept of pitch. Singing, music appreciation, and the study of musical elements are also included in these grades.
- Keyboard: Students are assigned to a keyboard, and Grades 5 through 8 Music learn the basics of keyboarding through method books. Students are encouraged to learn how to recognize and play notes from both the treble and bass clef staff. Music history and basic theory are studied as well.
- Extra curricular: Students may choose to participate in one of our choirs or other musical activities such as talent shows, contests and mini concerts which provide a wonderful display of students’ talents.