Raising children is an enormous responsibility. At Rowntree Montessori Schools, we make every effort to be part of the community that helps grow and shape young minds. We recently came across an interesting article that highlights the need to teach children 7 Core Values. Click here to read this article written by S. Campbell. Below are some of the highlights that we would like to share.
- Teamwork: Note only is it critical that we show our children the necessity of teamwork by getting them involved in school and community activities, but we must also make sure they understand the importance of being a valuable asset to each environment they are a part of. At our private school, students have the ability to participate in many different team environments, from multiple sports clubs and teams, to Robotics club, Model United Nations, to participating in community outings and leadership opportunities where the older students can be role models for younger students at concerts and school trips.
- Self-Care: According to the article, children must learn to put their responsibilities first and free-time second, in order to feel successful and to be at their best. At RMS, we encourage our students to be the best version of themselves at all times, whether on school trips, when working on projects with others, or whether at home working on their Chromebooks. However, we always ensure a school-life balance, so our teachers make sure that students are never overwhelmed with school priorities. Our school calendar is monitored closely, and our Principal is very involved with each classroom, so that homework plans and project plans are put together in a way that ensures students can always be successful in meeting their priorities, leaving them time for life outside of school, and for other fulfilling and fun activities.
- Seeing Possibilities Where Others See Problems: Campbell states the value of helping teach children persistence and consistency in thought and action towards solving their problems. We could not agree more. Problem solving is a fundamental skill that we teach at our private school. Giving our students access to the tools they need to help solve their problems is pivotal. Not only do we focus on STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) in a multidisciplinary way when learning to problem solve, but we offer tools like robotics, computers, Chromebooks, interactive whiteboards and many other hands on materials to help our students find solutions. This offers them the opportunity for personal development and growth, and prepares them for dealing with real world problems.
- Motivation: We agree that encouragement, validation and support are necessary in helping grow a child’s motivation. At RMS, we make every effort to ensure that each student who walks through our doors feels motivated to succeed, not only at classwork, but also is achieving their goals. We hold a regular monthly assembly to acknowledge student achievement and teachers make the classroom environment comfortable and supportive, but also challenging enough for students to develop their skills and find joy in accomplishing tasks independently and in group projects.
- Time Management Skills: According to Campbell, “success is deeply rooted in having exceptional time-management skills.” This is very true, and it is why we ensure that students are required to meet deadlines, and taught to self manage their time responsibly.
- Accepting Responsibility: At RMS, we make sure that students take responsibility for any outcomes, both positive and negative. Teachers, Principals and Faculty are all very involved in setting this guideline. At Rowntree Montessori Schools we have a strict code of conduct, which we all abide by to ensure that we have a successful school experience. When mistakes are made, students are taught to take responsibility for their actions, and they are given every support they need to correct actions. Importantly, we also ensure that good work and successful decisions are recognized, so that students who are successful in their decision making can accept positive reinforcement and be role models for others.
- Kindness: We agree with Campbell that children must value themselves and others, and that the environment around them is consistently positive and supportive. As educators we set examples everyday for our students about how to be kind, and we believe this is one of the reasons why our families consistently return to our private school, because they cherish the positive influence that our teachers and students have.
We are always looking for new families to join our school community. If you would like to apply to RMS, please do so by clicking here.
To learn more about Rowntree Montessori Schools (RMS), continue browsing our website and ideally drop by any of our welcoming, friendly and family oriented campuses for a personal tour anytime Monday-Friday 9:30am-3:00pm. If you prefer, call to book an appointment for a personal tour anytime Monday-Friday 9:30am-3:00pm.