Dedicated, caring, and qualified teachers and instructors will conduct a wide variety of summer camps that will complement and enhance your child’s academic needs and expand their extra-curricular abilities.
Camps are offered in safe environments as a morning only or full day program. We offer a variety of academic and non-academic activities focusing on Sports (Soccer, Basketball, Team Sports), Water Play, Arts & Crafts, Drama/Dance, Music, Science Discovery, Computers, and Field Trips.
The Summer Learning Camps are specially designed to allow students to continue school throughout the summer months and to get a head start for the upcoming year, while enjoying at the same time some fun and exciting summer time activities and outings.
The students have the opportunity to have the best of both worlds through a learning programme for the morning session and then participation in planned activities in the afternoon, with a scheduled field trip every week. All activities will coincide with a planned weekly theme. Parents will be given a calendar outlining the weekly events happening throughout the summer.
Summer Learning Camps are available in July and August offering the following programmes
Pre-Primary and Readiness Programmes
All students will participate in a variety of age appropriate themed activities. Some examples of activities include cutting, pasting, water days, outdoor games, music, sports, science, experiments, cooking activities, physical activities, discovery and dramaToddler and Junior Pre-School Camp (Pre-Primary campuses only)
Senior Pre-School Camp (Pre-Primary campuses only)
The senior pre-school camp prepares the children for becoming more independent and ready for a structured learning program. Becoming more independent is a process that starts with concentration and being able to follow instructions and directions. In senior pre-school the children develop the first steps of becoming self-sufficient.
Junior Kindergarten Readiness (All campuses)
- Practical Life Skills (including care of self, care of the environment, gross and fine motor development, grace and courtesy)
- Social/emotional development (including increasing self-esteem and independence, interacting with others, following directions and structured classroom routine, co-operating and sharing, expressing oneself)
- Cognitive development (including increasing attention span, concentration, and learning different concepts such as numbers, colours, shapes, the alphabet, first phonics, sounds, etc.)
Children will develop an overall comfort with being in a school environment and will be able to start Kindergarten with ease.
Senior Kindergarten Readiness (All campuses)
- Develop self-confidence and a feeling of belonging
- Interact and participate in group activities
- Learn to concentrate on a task and increase attention span,/li>
- Follow structured schedules and routines
- Co-operate and develop social skills
- Be introduced to language and mathematics, focusing on recognizing the letters of the alphabet and their phonetic sounds, printing their names, recognizing numbers, counting, and other basic language and mathematics exercises leading to reading, writing, and basic arithmetic
- Develop fine and gross motor skills through physical education, arts, crafts and music.
By Senior Kindergarten, students have developed lasting friendships and memories. Some children return each summer to the fun and unique experience they have had at a Rowntree summer camp. The students are stimulated in the morning program through structured work tutorials and enjoy the ‘summer camp’ atmosphere in the afternoon that allows the children to discover all that the program has to offer ranging from creative arts to science experiments and sports and water fun in-between while at the same time developing new social relationships and rekindling friendships from years past.
Academy campus Programmes
Academic Morning ActivitiesGrade 1 Readiness (Academy campus only)
- Improvement of social skills, cooperation through group work, increase of self-esteem, and development of responsibility and independence
- Introduction to reading and writing through phonics
- Introduction of basic mathematics concepts including, addition and subtraction, time telling, understanding of money and measurement
- Development of sportsmanship, team work, physical fitness, as well as creativity through arts, crafts and music
Enrichment/Tutorial Camp offering Academics, Sports, and Cultural Activities (for children entering Grades 2-8)
Fun Afternoon Activities
Rowntree will be offering a host of fun activities for the campers to participate in. These activities will help them to develop many skills and teach them to become part of a team and have fun at the same time. The following week themes (in random order) are being offered this summer.
- Wacky Wizards – Come explore the magical world of your favourite wizards. This magical week will fill your imagination with whimsy and delight as campers explore spells, potions, and magic tricks!
- CSI Week – Footprints? Fingerprints? And magnifying glasses? Bring out your inner Sherlock Holmes this week as we dust for prints, solve crimes, and discover the ins and outs of detective work.
- Island Hopping – Come take a sunny tour with us and feel the Caribbean breeze! Each day campers will explore a new island, their culture, crafts, and delicious cuisine!
- Top Chef – Mystery baskets and cooking challenges galore. Campers will discover the world of a culinary chef and work with each other to cook and create delicious snacks and food.
- Under the Sea – Dive into this week’s exploration of aquatic creatures. From menacing sharks to mermaids and tropical fish of the beach coast, campers will build castles in the sand and swim under the summer sky!
- Safari Week – Lions and Tigers and Bears – oh my! Take a tour with Tarzan and his friends this week as we explore the deep jungle together. Campers will have a chance to explore jungle rhythms in workshops and engage with exotic animals through hands on crafts and creations.
- Monster Mash – This week campers will explore the fun side of monsters! From popcorn and movies about our favourite furry friends to creating marvelous monsters as they come out to play!
- Circus Week – Join us for obstacle courses and carnival fun! Campers will enjoy games, shows and treats for everyone! Campers will practice their acrobatic skills and jump to their highest desires as we explore the fun-filled world of the circus.
Fun Activities and field trips will be based on a theme and compliment each week. Campers will be able to go on a treasure hunt, go bowling, visit the Arboretum and the Peel Heritage complex, and be part of a Music workshop among others, depending on the week(s) that they come to the camp.
All Readiness programmes include a variety of afternoon fun activities like water play, outdoor games, sports and field trips for full day registrants.
Please take notice that all information on the themes or activities is subject to change pending on the availability of the venues.
Click here for more information about our Summer Learning Camps.